The demonic realm’s mission is to kill, steal and destroy (John 10:10). Do you understand enough of the enemy’s ways to resist him effectively, especially on the battlefield of your home? We have heard many stories over the years of how people are attacked not only by indwelling spirits but also those from the outside.
Deliverance ministry is the driving out of demons and we explore and expound on that topic regularly at Above & Beyond, apart from being actively involved in the practice.
But what about demons outside of us that we are called to resist so that they will flee? (James 4:7)
In this article, I’ll present some simple and straightforward steps to take so you can be more efficient in this endeavor. One of the main keys to resisting demons is first discerning them! After all, you cannot fight what you cannot see. I am amazed at how many believers have unwittingly invited these devils in through the front door out of mere ignorance and who are then baffled by the chaos that often ensues.
Spirits that reside in our dwelling places are typically there for one or more of the following reasons:
- They are associated with objects
- There is a curse or residual sin that is upon the land or building.
Many objects are associated with demonic activity and these cannot be spiritually purified; they must be thrown out. Some of the most common occult-specific examples include dreamcatchers, little Buddhas, totem poles, yin/yang symbols, thunderbirds, spiritist masks to name only a few.
Music, games, and videos from satanic groups should obviously be discarded, while many others, that promote spiritually dark (paranormal, violent, sexual and so on) themes should be avoided. It has been widely reported that some music groups have prayed curses over their music so that listeners will be afflicted. (Make no mistake: Christians can be cursed!). Deuteronomy 7:25-26 speaks to this issue.
The eyes are the windows to the soul so what we watch (and listen to) present golden opportunities for demonic entry points. We’ve ministered to many youths who’ve been seduced by videos and games deeply steeped in witchcraft. Harry Potter, Pokémon and the like are not harmless as many Christian parents suppose. God’s people perish for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6).
We have seen also seen many instances where people have experienced great torment upon moving into a particular house or apartment. When they researched the grounds, they often find that violent crime has been committed there or that the location was once the center of significant occult/witchcraft activity. The land was cursed in the fall of Adam (Genesis 3:17-18) and Jesus broke the curse, but spirits can still operate on the earth and over dwellings.
Just because any curse is broken, it does not necessarily mean that the demons leave automatically. The same holds true for the deliverance of demons from Christians. They often need to be called out and sent away to dry and desolate places; it typically does not happen automatically.
Kicking the Demons Off Your Property
Even if you haven’t discerned spirits in your home, it does not hurt to deal proactively with potential open doors. Here are two simple steps to take:
- Get rid of objects that demons can be attached to. This is pretty much a “no-brainer” and while many should be obvious, some will take a little more discernment. I used to work in the Ivory Coast in West Africa many years ago and came home with some ebony artwork and batiks (woven hangings) that I had in our house for many years.As we upgraded over the years, these furnishings ultimately ended up in a box in my garage.I stumbled them some time back and was immediately quickened to the fact that most depicted spiritist gods and were totally counter to what I believed. I threw them all out.Ask the Lord about artwork, music, videos and furnishings that you have in your home. If you need help, bring in a trusted friend who may be more spiritually discerning and mature in this area so they can help you decide. Not every object is harmful; some items can be prayed over and spiritually cleansed but many cannot.
- Dedicate your living space to the Lord and pray over it. Once the building has been cleansed in the natural, you can move into the spirit realm. The following should be covered as a minimum.
– Anoint the door jams, walls, and perimeter with anointing oil.
– Dedicate the place to the Lord and invite His Holy Spirit to fill it.
– Break curses and demonic assignments.
– Command the spirits to go to dry and uninhabited places.
– Invite warring angels to be stationed there.
There are several different models and processes you can use as a guideline; we’ve included one on our website that we particularly like.
As an aside, people often ask if playing worship music will keep the demons away? I believe that the main purpose of playing worship music is to minister to our soul and cause us also to stay in a place of worship to the Lord and that it does not keep demons away. After all, Satan himself entered God’s throne room in heaven and worship is undoubtedly prevalent there, is it not?
You may have a different opinion and I would love to hear from you if you have had a different experience. Playing worship music has tremendous benefits in so many advantages and is actively encouraged for all believers, however, we do not see that demons are not repelled when it is playing.
A major battleground for spiritual warfare is, of course, the human mind and that is where we should invest the bulk of our efforts. However, demons in the physical realm can also come against us and I hope this article gives you some more tools and ammunition to wage it more productively where you live, work and play.