Paul tells us in Ephesians 6:12 that we battle spiritual forces of evil on earth and in the heavenly realms. At Above & Beyond, we purposely avoid warfare in the second heaven (the heavenly realms) and focus on the ministry of deliverance. I want to explain the distinction and offer insights as to why you should be careful before you venture into second heaven warfare.
There are three heavens. The Bible refers specifically to only the “third heaven.” There must be two others and defining them can be subject to debate.
We view them this way:
- First heaven – the earth, where we live, work and play
- Second heaven – comprises principalities of evil in the heavenly realms (Eph 6:12 over cities, countries, churches and the like).
- Third heaven – where God’s throne room resides. Paul was taken there in the spirit (2 Cor. 12:2). We can safely presume that there is no need for spiritual warfare there. However, it is interesting that Satan went before God, with other angels, in Job 1:6. (As an aside, that passage alone refutes the view many profess that demons have to flee in His presence. This statement will rankle some, but Satan apparently had no issue being in the same “room” as the Creator.)
Deliverance ministry is an earthly, first heaven activity. Jesus walked in the flesh, drove demons out of the afflicted and told his church to do the same (Mark 16:17).
There are very few biblical references in second heaven demon activity:
- Prince of the Persian kingdom. Daniel’s prayer response was hindered by this demon (Daniel 10:13), and the messenger angel had to be assisted by the archangel Michael.
- Leviathan Spirit: Job 41:1, Job 41:26-32, PS 104:25-2, Psalm 74:13-14.
- Jezebel Spirit: We contend that this is a second heaven spirit over principalities. We have other articles, podcasts, and videos on this evil devil. During deliverance, we will call out spirits of control and manipulation because we see these as demons that indwell believers, unlike Jezebel.
- Some believers will reference a Python Spirit. Is it a second heaven spirit? Acts 16:16-19 details the account of a woman, possessed by a spirit of divination, used by her master as a fortune-teller. The Greek text contains the word “Puthon” from which we get the English word “python.” At our center, we address and cast out “the spirit of divination” and do not focus on a Python spirit. Other ministries take a different path, but that is our approach.
Deliverance Ministry: Staying in Our Lane
In our Center, we do not engage in second heaven warfare for three main reasons:
- Deliverance ministry is first heaven warfare. Our mission is to drive demons out of people, and we want to stay in our lane. (Mark 16:17). Fixating on these spiritual forces of evil can unnecessarily complicate the process of setting the captives free. We do not see the need.
- We are wary of the dangers involved in this venture. I contend that many Christians come under significant attack because they are not wise about engaging in this activity. I am not saying it should not be done, but those involved should be knowledgeable, trained, accountable and under a covering. If you are active in this theater of war, I highly recommend, “Needless Casualties of War,” a book by the late John Paul Jackson that makes a strong case for significant caution.
- There is scant evidence that second heaven demons significantly affect or direct the activities of demons indwelling the saints. While we do not discount the effect of these evil forces over the cities, countries, churches, and principalities they rule over, individuals can be set free regardless of the covering. We encourage people to move out from ungodly spiritual authority (churches, for example) but that is a counseling, rather than a deliverance issue.
Just to be clear: I am not saying that second heaven spiritual warfare is wrong or unnecessary. We see it as a separate battlefront and those who engage the enemy there need to be wise, trained up, discerning and careful. If you want to join in on this frontier, get knowledge, training and proper spiritual covering. We encourage the same approach for those in involved in deliverance ministry.
The enemies of our souls are not powerless as some suppose and are actively working to kill, steal and destroy. Let us move ahead with wisdom and discernment, knowing that we have both the power and authority to prevail.
*More Ways to Enjoy This Post*