At Above & Beyond Counseling Center, we tailor premarital counseling to the specific desires and also the needs of the couple. It would be simpler to have a specific program but our experience is that one size does not fit all when it comes to preparing people for marriage.
As counselors, we try to get answers to the following questions, as a minimum, in order to recommend the best approach:
- What are the religious backgrounds and experiences of each?
- Are there behavioral strongholds such as anger, fear, depression, addictions or pornography (typically called “issues”) that need to be dealt with?
- Has one or more partner been married before. Do they have “baggage” from previous relationships?
- Is there a need to understand each person’s God-given temperament so they can better serve their needs?
- Do they know what a healthy marriage looks like? Ephesians 5:33 says that a wife is to respect her husband and a husband is to love his wife.
The duration of premarital counseling can typically range from three to eight sessions, depending upon the needs and desires of the couple. Using internet technology, we are also able to offer this service worldwide.