Men who need spiritual help regain order in their lives do not start out expecting to fail. They normally fall victim to one or more of three main enticements that the world has to offer. What are these lures and how can a Christian man avoid getting caught in these traps? We look at those and offer five keys to victory.
The bible, and particularly the book of Proverbs, warns of the following snares for men:
- Gold-the love of money and the (ungodly) pursuit of wealth.
- Gals-the seduction by a woman other than his wife.
- Glory– the need to be highly esteemed by man.
I heard John Paul Jackson, an anointed modern day prophetic voice to the Church, use this phrasing at a conference I attended many years ago, and it stuck with me. The world’s path, with its own values, leads to destruction. Man’s approach to solving problems is to work harder, be smarter, run faster and utilize the power of self.
The keys to victory all rest in a relationship with Jesus Christ!
Jesus offers the opportunity for him to be in charge of our life. His path, the narrow road to life, promises abundant blessing now and eternal life in the age to come. He will be in control, and our job is to yield our will to his and follow in obedience and faith. The choice is striking, but I am confident it offers the best hope for victory in this life.
- Let Jesus be the Lord of your life. You cannot win most of these battles in your own strength. Learning how to yield control can be daunting for many men.
- Get into a spiritual gym and work out. Develop your own spiritual disciplines. Prayer and bible study are not religious exercises but are vital components of developing a relationship with Christ.
- Don’t be a lone ranger, find a healthy herd. Followers of Christ are called sheep for a reason; we cannot make this journey alone. Commit to finding and attending a growing church that preaches out of the bible and believes and pursues the present day power and work of the Holy Spirit. The local church is also where service opportunities and accountability can be found.
- Recognize the temptations of the flesh and have specific plans to deal with them. If you have particular struggles in any area (anger, depression, addictions, pornography or the like) then get help. You may need competent Christian counseling to help you move ahead. Sometimes, it is just a matter of making good choices when facing the temptation.
- Learn who you are in Christ and walk it out. I know that this is easier said than done, but this is a key revelation that many men are missing. We are not losers, sinners and without hope! We do not have to strive to earn God’s favor and love. We have it because we are His children!
All things are possible and apart from Christ it is impossible to have lasting and sustained triumph in these areas and to lead a blessed and abundant life. A born-again Christian man, with the Holy Spirit living and within him, can secure and maintain freedom in these areas. I’m not promising a quick, easy fix, but there is a biblical roadmap and plan to start and complete the journey successfully.
If you are on the wrong path, you need to act now, so your life is not destroyed. Seek out competent help locally or get in touch with us. If you are undecided about whether or not to seek help from a Christian counselor, we suggest that you download a free report on why Christian counseling is right for you. You are not alone, and Christ can bring hope and healing to you!