At our counseling center clients will often say something like, “I know I probably sound like everyone else to you. I bet you get tired of hearing the same things every day.” My reply is typically as follows: “You are unique and there is no one else quite like you. It is the strategies of the demonic kingdom that remain the same. If they are working for them then why would they change?”
It has been our experience that there are common strategies that the demonic kingdom will use against believers to try to detour us off God’s highway of holiness that is paved with love, joy, peace and all the fruit of the Spirit.During the interview process, we often hear a recurring cycle that started early with woundings of rejection, abandonment, isolation, or abuse. Typically the pattern repeats with greater torment and different people as they age.
Many times clients can identify periods of breakthrough where they have a season of freedom but then, something always lures them back to that cycle of torment. In Chuck Pierce’s new book, “A Time to Prosper” he identifies some of the same tactics and I would like to share with you five detours that he outlines:
- Cares of the world – We divert our eyes and desires to the world around us instead of keeping our eyes upon the One who made us.
- Anxiety – Anxiety is friction within our inner person that keeps us from walking in peace or wholeness.
- Unforgiveness – Unforgiveness is holding resentment toward an individual who has wronged us.
- Grief – Grief is a function of loss that can be embedded in our emotions. Grief has a time frame and if we go extend that time frame then the enemy produces hope deferred within us. We then lose our expectation in God and others.
- Accusation -The accuser of the brethren loves to reproach us and remind us of everything that we have done wrong. Then he condemns, which is the opposite of conviction. Whereas conviction leads us to grace, condemnation says that there is no way out for any wrong doing we’ve done.
These tend to be the detours that begin the derailing from the straight and smooth road to the crooked one leading away from Gods purpose. As believers we cannot be possessed by demons, that would signify ownership, but we can be held under their influence or oppressed.
This is where the demonic kingdom will seek to destroy our testimony. Since what we have to fight the war is the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony, it stands to reason he will attack the testimony. He can’t touch the blood of Jesus Christ.
Deliverance is step one in planning your course. It’s like setting the GPS of your mind to get to the destination God has purposed for you. It removes the detours and road blocks that lead to dead ends and allows you to begin the process of renewing your mind.
This is a year of multiplication and prosperity. Are you ready for a new road?