It’s a common question and if you do your own research, you will find that most sources contend that demons cannot read our minds. We agree with that view and will share my reasons shortly. The question is debated because there are no explicit passages in scripture to prove or disprove either assertion.
Many counselees are adamant in believing that Satan can read their minds because, from their perspective, he seems to know what they are thinking. Or, they think something, and then it happens.
We need to understand five things about our spiritual enemies:
- Demons have access to our soul man (mind, memory emotions) and are able to put thoughts into our mind and also stir up memories.
- Few will deal with Satan directly. He is a created being, limited by time and space just as we are, and who among us warrants his personal attention?
- Satan has a vast army of demons under his authority and they are sent to torment us, to kill, steal and destroy (John 10:10).
- They war against us by messing with our thought life and indwelling us also, if they are able. The latter requires deliverance ministry (the driving out of demons) while demons on the outside need to be discerned and resisted (James 4:7).
- Demons assigned to us hear all that we say, see all that we do and are aware of prophetic words spoken over us. They do not need to read our minds to really have a firm handle on how we function, our strengths, weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
Ask yourself this simple question:
“If you had someone following you around 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to saw everything you did and heard all that you said, would they know a lot about you?”
The answer is obvious; they do not have to read our minds to be smart. Plus, they do have the ability to put thoughts in our mind.
What about those who operate in the occult realm and profess mind-reading capability? Som truly connect with demons, hear from them and receive the information that the demons have. God speaks to people and so do demons Those on the other side have power and knowledge too, but not to the same degree.
Why is this important?
Demonic Power and Capabilities Should Be Clear
I believe we need to put and keep these demons in their proper place when it comes to their power and capabilities. They are able to put thoughts in our minds and stir up memories. Our job is to discern that fact as it happens, capture the thought and replace it with Christ’s truth (2 Cor xx) and as we persevere in this renewal process our minds can be transformed and we become more like Jesus.
Simple enough, right? Just kidding; but that’s our challenge and Paul did not lay a mission before us that we cannot accomplish, by the Lord’s grace and power at work in us.
So, what’s the evidence for demons not being able to read our mind?
The best example I put forth is Christ himself. Jesus was fully God and fully human. He was tempted in every way, as we are (Heb 4:15).
He knew what His mission was and willingly went to the Cross so He could rise again. If Satan could read Christ’s mind, can anyone believe that he would have labored so vigorously, through the religious leaders and Romans, to have Jesus crucified?
It does not make sense, does it?
Yes, I know, it’s only an indicator and not a proof but that point was made at the outset.
Let’s not walk in fear. Do not be concerned about devils being able to read your mind. Similarly, do not quake when you speak an inner pain out loud because you think you’ve given your enemies new insight. They probably already know. They also know that you have power and authority over them and are properly concerned about that truth?
Are you willing to embrace that biblical truth and walk in the fullness of it. Need help to get there? Connect with us and we’ll give you a hand.
*More Ways to Enjoy This Post*